Monday 9 November 2015

People Who Bring You Down, When You’re Trying to Achieve Something



I’m starting to think this blog should have been called The Types of People I Hate.

So there are these horrible parasitic types that drag you down when you’re up. I’m sure this has happened to all of us although maybe everyone else hasn’t always been surrounded by the miserable negative people I have.

These are the (as Kevin Smith would say) why people, the people who always as why or always see the worst in everything, the every cloud has a shit stained lining people. The type of person who you’d tell you won the £10mil jackpot on the lottery and they’d say why couldn’t it have been the £72mil Euro. Try to surround yourselves with why not people as Kevin Smith would say, and you know what he’s right. For most of my life I was a why person and all I can say is thank fuck I’m not anymore.

These people are generally negative in every aspect of there life and that’s fine because I once read that “their (negative people) life is their punishment” which I truly believe. The most negative people I’ve ever met are some of the biggest underachievers on the planet. People with potential which they never full reached and as a consequents are living lives that were chosen for them rather than lives that they chose themselves. This is one of the saddest things that can happen to a human, but I believe we choose our own paths. These people believe that they are powerless when negative thing have happened to them, I say the way you react to the bad stuff that happens to you defines you.

Don’t get caught in the trap of negative thinking, it’s a vicious cycle that is hard to get out of.

Again going back to Kevin Smith but in his book Tough Shit (which is in my top 10 books ever, especially for motivation and positivity. Oh and dick jokes, that guy loves dick jokes) he say if you want to do something good encourage an artist. This is a top tip, I love this, because there are too many negative people in the world telling you that you can’t do something or you can’t achieve something. One that’s been thrown at me quite a lot in my life has been: “But how many people who try that actually make money doing it?” or one of the million variations that this comes in. How defeatist is that? I was listening to an old Joe Rogan Experience podcast the other day where he had Magnus Walker on. If you don’t know who Magnus is, he is an ex-fashion designer, ex-film locationer (not the technical term, I just mean he rented out property he owned to film companies) and now spends all his time making custom Porsches as a hobby. Any way his story goes like this: he was born in Sheffield, England and never knew what he wanted to do so after sitting on the dole for a while he went to America and the rests history. Anyway on the podcast he said how in England (especially outside London) you are told to stay in your box, to not strive to be anything other than what you are expected to be and to “live within your means”. This is certainly true for me growing up in middle England, hell I’m the first in my immediate family to go to university and get a degree, just let that sink in a minute the first member of my family finished university in 2015. Why go to university when you can work in a shop? Or be a builder? No thank you.

So fuck people who try to bring you down. At the end of the day no one knows what’s best in life, which is certainly true for everyone I’ve ever met. Most people I know have no idea what they’re doing at 45 so who the fuck are they to judge anyone. And as my man Magnus would say “go with your gut feeling” as you know what’s best for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment